Re: On Scalability

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Vincenzo Romano" <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: On Scalability
Date: 2010-10-07 15:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it> wrote:
> 2010/10/7 Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>:

>> Yes, that would be the problem. Proving something based on
>> expressions is alot more time consuming and complicated than
>> being explicitly told what goes where.
>
> Consuming computing resources at DDL-time should be OK if that
> will lead to big savings at DML-time (run-time), my opinion. It'd
> be just like compile time optimizations.

I think something you haven't entirely grasped is how pluggable
PostgreSQL is -- you can not only define your own functions in a
wide variety of languages (including C), but your own data types,
operators, casts, index strategies, etc. Determining, even at DDL
time that even a built-in datatype's expression is or isn't useful
in partitioning could be quite painful in the absence of syntax
specifically geared toward partitioning. If there's a CHECK
constraint on a polygon column to ensure that it isn't a concave
polygon, you might be facing a lot of work to know whether it's
involved in partitioning. Now imagine that a CHECK constraint is on
a column with a user defined type and uses the @%!! operator and
that the user has changed some of the allowed implicit casts used in
the expression.

While this flexibility is a great strength of PostgreSQL, it makes
some things more difficult to implement than they would be in more
limited database products.

-Kevin