Re: newer release branch

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc Fromm" <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: newer release branch
Date: 2010-10-06 15:57:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu> wrote:

> Has anyone upgraded from 8.1 to the latest version 9.0.1? Can you
> do it in one jump?

I would expect it to work if you use pg_dump from the newer version
against the old database. The biggest compatibility issue is
probably going to be that in 8.3 some automatic casts to and from
text were eliminated. You would definitely want to do a preliminary
conversion and test your applications before doing the final
conversion.

> Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?

You will probably need both 8.1 and 9.0 installed at the same time.
I don't know if yum will overwrite the old version or put the new
one in its own location without disturbing the old one.

-Kevin