Not quite there yet

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Not quite there yet
Date: 2010-09-26 23:20:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

I downloaded the new PostgreSQL 9.0 and it isn't quite there yet:
-bash-3.2$ NEWDATADIR=`pwd`
-bash-3.2$ OLDBINDIR=/usr/bin
-bash-3.2$ NEWBINDIR=/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin/
-bash-3.2$ pg_upgrade
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking old data directory (/var/lib/pgsql/data) ok
Checking old bin directory (/usr/bin) ok
Checking new data directory (/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/data) ok
Checking new bin directory (/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin) ok
Checking for reg* system oid user data types ok
Checking for /contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch ok
Checking for large objects ok
Creating catalog dump ok
Checking for presence of required libraries fatal

| Your installation references loadable libraries that are missing
| from the new installation. You can add these libraries to
| the new installation, or remove the functions using them
| from the old installation. A list of the problem libraries
| is in the file
| "/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/data/loadable_libraries.txt".

-bash-3.2$ less /opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/data/loadable_libraries.txt
Failed to load library: $libdir/plperl
ERROR: could not load library "/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/postgresql/
plperl.so": libperl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

That means that the new version (EnterpriseDB binary installer) doesn't
support plperl/plperlu . Unfortunately, I have functions written in
plperl and plperlu. Playing with the new version will have to wait a bit.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA