Re: Documentation

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Marek Černocký <marek(at)manet(dot)cz>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: 2010-09-24 14:20:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 24/09/2010 15:16, Marek Černocký a écrit :
> I comprehend your concern for quality. But now I have no clear info
> about documentation changes. I would have to study git changelogs or do
> other frustration work. It has impact on documentation translation
> completeness and quality too.

You just need this command:

git diff REL-1_10_0_PATCHES -- docs/en_US

Which gives you 439 lines of changes (many are from binary files). With
this, you easily know changes on the documentation.

> I translate Gnome (which uses own tools for work with documentation
> po/pot) and I don't see any problem with quality. Documentation
> translator is usually the same as UI translator so he has knowledge
> about application.

Problem is not knowledge on the software. Translating a UI is a complete
different business than translating a documentation. There's not really
a context when you translate a UI, but there is one when you translate a
manual.

> I thing the limit to translation quality is translator at first,
> using .po is the matter in question.

Anyway, there are tools that helps you to build .po files from various
text formats. po4a for example.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr