Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] buildfarm git clones layout

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Rémi Zara <remi_zara(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] buildfarm git clones layout
Date: 2010-09-23 13:01:25
Lists: buildfarm-members

On 09/23/2010 04:49 AM, Rémi Zara wrote:
> Le 23 sept. 2010 à 09:31, Rémi Zara a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do you feel about a patch along the lines of the attached one ?
>> It clones the master repository in $workdir, and then clone that locally in each branch. Since local clones use hard links, this should save on disk usage when using multiple branches, and on network traffic when fetching changes from the main repo, without having to deal with a reference repo which would have to be updated independently of the buildfarm script.
> Here is a slightly simpler patch, which uses git clone --mirror (which I just saw discussed on -hackers)

Yeah, good idea. But we need to be a bit smarter about it. Some people
(e.g. me ;-) ) are already working off local clones created for other
purposes (development, other buildfarm members etc.), in which case this
would actually increase disk usage. Anyway, I'll work on it.

Also, btw, "git clone --mirror" doesn't work on older versions of git.
We need to be careful about assuming what versions people have - it's
not like CVS where the landscape was essentially unchanged for years. I
have already been bitten by several backwards compatibility bugs.

cheers

andrew