Re: ask for review of MERGE

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>
To: Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ask for review of MERGE
Date: 2010-09-23 11:55:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2010-09-23 1:31 PM +0300, Boxuan Zhai wrote:
> I have just generate a new patch of MERGE command.

I haven't followed the discussion very closely, but this part in the
regression tests caught my attention:

+-- we now have a duplicate key in Buy, so when we join to
+-- Stock we will generate 2 matching rows, not one.
+-- According to standard this command should fail.
+-- But it suceeds in PostgreSQL implementation by simply ignoring the
second

It doesn't seem like a very good idea to go against the standard here.
The "second" row is not well defined in this case so the results are
unpredictable.

The patch is also missing a (trivial) change to explain.c.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja