Re: Do we need a ShmList implementation?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do we need a ShmList implementation?
Date: 2010-09-20 16:09:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:

> On 09/20/2010 05:12 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> SHM_QUEUE objects provide the infrastructure for maintaining a
>> shared memory linked list, but they don't do anything about the
>> allocation and release of the space for the objects.
>
> Did you have a look at my dynshmem stuff? It tries to solve the
> problem of dynamic allocation from shared memory. Not just for
> lists, but very generally.

Yeah, I mostly followed that thread. If such a feature was present,
it might well make sense to use it for this; however, I've got
enough trouble selling the SSI technology without making it
dependent on something else which was clearly quite controversial,
and which seemed to have some technical hurdles of its own left to
clear. :-/

At the point where there is an implementation which is accepted by
the community, I'll certainly take another look.

-Kevin