Re: Unable to use VIEWS (Ok button remains shaded)

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>, Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, joseflores <jose(dot)floresv(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to use VIEWS (Ok button remains shaded)
Date: 2010-09-17 15:19:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Mladen Gogala
> <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I always wandered why would anybody want to update a view? View is, by
>> definition, a stored query which is executed frequently enough to be given
>> its own first name, middle name and a family name. If the view is being
>> updated, the middle name is F, just as in the case of Bucky Dent. I don't
>> see any database design pattern which would necessitate updating a view.
>> That is a perversion, not unlike putting ketchup on a hot dog.
>>

> See C.J. Date's "SQL and Relational Theory", a good read. Page 195,
> "SQL and Views: Update Operations" talks about this. Quote:

That is all good and well. My objection wasn't to the relational theory
and the principle of interchangeability, it was to a bad practice. As a
DBA since 1989., I've never had a need for updating a view, except when
simulating "update from". That's all I've said. Furthermore, my
experience tells me that updating views usually leads to
under-performing applications. The same applies to the philosophy which
puts optimizer hints at the "unwanted" list. Hints are bad in theory,
but unless optimizer can always make a good decision, there should be a
way of influencing the optimizer decisions.

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA