Re: incrementing updates and locks

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: incrementing updates and locks
Date: 2010-09-17 02:53:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Craig James wrote:

> given what you have told us about your application, it is probably
> not very important if a few ORDER ID numbers are missing.

I'm not so sure. If these are considered accounting records which
may be audited by a CPA firm, I would definitely check with the
accountants before assuming that's OK. I spent four years working
for a CPA firm, participating in audits where computer expertise was
needed; these guys considered it a major problem if there were gaps
in the sequence numbers of financial transactions without a signed
letter bound into the official books to explain each gap. That's
probably related to the fact that in most of the cases of
embezzlement I heard about, numbering gaps in the sales records were
the tip-off that something was wrong. (If there's no record of the
sale, who's going to miss the money from it?)

Perhaps you have other controls which make that one irrelevant, but I
would check....

-Kevin