Re: Serializable Snapshot Isolation

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Serializable Snapshot Isolation
Date: 2010-09-14 19:48:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14/09/10 19:34, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Attached is the latest Serializable Snapshot Isolation (SSI) patch.

Great work! A year ago I thought it would be impossible to have a true
serializable mode in PostgreSQL because of the way we do MVCC, and now
we have a patch.

At a quick read-through, the code looks very tidy and clear now. Some
comments:

Should add a citation to Cahill's work this is based on. Preferably with
a hyperlink. A short description of how the predicate locks help to
implement serializable mode would be nice too. I haven't read Cahill's
papers, and I'm left wondering what the RW conflicts and dependencies
are, when you're supposed to grab predicate locks etc.

If a page- or relation level SILOCK is taken, is it possible to get
false conflicts? Ie. a transaction is rolled back because it modified a
tuple on a page where some other transaction modified another tuple,
even though there's no dependency between the two.

--
Heikki Linnakangas