Re: [NOVICE] - SAN/NAS/DAS - Need advises

From: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] - SAN/NAS/DAS - Need advises
Date: 2010-09-08 04:58:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2010-09-07 22:47, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Ok, recently I have compared prices a NexSan SASBeast with 42 15K SAS
>>> drives
>>> with a HP MDS600 with 15K SAS drives.
>>>
>>> The first is 8gbit Fibre Channel, the last is 3Gbit DAS SAS. The
>>> fibre channel version is about 20% more expensive pr TB.
>>>
>>> So of course it is a "fraction of the cost of a SAN", but it is a
>>> fairly small one.
>>>
>> Are you really comparing equal systems? "8gbit Fibre Channel" means a
>> single Fibre Channel shared by 42 disks, whereas "3GBit DAS SAS" means 42
>> 3gbit channels running in parallel. It seems like you'd really need some
>> realistic benchmarks that emulate your actual server load before you'd know
>> how these two systems compare.
>>
> Well, not usually. Most SAS DAS systems use a single multi-lane cable
> that gives you 4x3GB channels, etc.
>
> However, unless you're doing little than sequentially scanned reports
> of a large size being read, the difference between 8gb and 3gb is not
> going to matter. There are lots of very hard working transactional
> databases that are lucky to see more than 20 or 40 megabytes a second
> getting trasnferred spread out over 30 or 40 drives.
>
> What really matters here is if the 8gb SAN is as fast as or faster
> than the DAS setup. For most people measuring the speed of the
> interface is a lot like the famous Tom Lane quote about benchmarking
> jet fighters versus airliners by measuring the amount of runway they
> need.

If you can get 10k tps on the SAN and 10k tps on the DAS
> So to the OP, what are hoping to get from the SAN that you won't get
> from the DAS? Also, how reliable are these two in comparison to each
> other is kinda of important. Speed of the interface isn't a real big
> deal for a database server Size of the battery backed cache in each
> one is And how each survives the power plug pull test. If your SAN
> salesman balks at a power on test you don't have to run it, you'll
> know.

All wise words, that I can acknowledge with "hands on" experience.

I was basically only reacting to the "you can do the choice based
on cost alone.. DAS is soo-much-cheaper". In the comparison, I get
an equal amount of disks with same characteristica, in the same
raid-configuration. 1-2GB Battery backed cache on each. So on
paper, I think the systems are directly comparable. In the real
world it is more about "feelings" since I never get to benchmark both of
them.

Jesper
--
Jesper