Re: git: uh-oh

From: Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-09-06 02:59:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com> writes:
>> For both, see http://github.com/maxb
>
> [...] The only real gripe I can find to make is that in the cases where
> a file is added to a back branch, the "manufactured" commit is
> invariably blamed on committer "pgsql". Can't we arrange to blame it
> on the person who actually added the file? (I wonder whether this is
> related to the fact that the same commits have made-up timestamps,
> which we already griped about.)

CVS does not record when a branch was created or by whom. If a git
commit has to be created for such events, cvs2git attributes them to a
configurable username, which Max has set to be "pgsql". It chooses the
latest possible timestamp that is consistent with other (timestamped)
changesets that depend on it.

Does cvs2cl do something better? If so, how?

Michael