Re: Continuent apology to PostgreSQL Community members

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Eero Teerikorpi <eero(dot)teerikorpi(at)continuent(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Continuent apology to PostgreSQL Community members
Date: 2010-08-30 15:19:15
Lists: pgsql-www

Eero Teerikorpi wrote:
> I will take a look why this happened and I will do my best make sure
> that you will not get unwanted e-mails from Continuent in the future.
> The best way you to guarantee not to get additional e-mails from us
> would use the unsubscribe link (one more time even if you may have
> done it earlier) in the e-mail Continuent sent you few days ago.

After a few weeks of seeing nothing while they presumably sorted this
out, Continuent sent out another MySQL announcement this morning to the
address I left on their list. For the first time, I no longer saw a
second copy of it show up on the e-mail address I unsubscribed from. So
as far as I can see, Eero has made good on his promise to eventually get
this problem resolved before starting up new announcements. If anyone
else received an unwanted newsletter from them today, my experience is
that they are doing the right thing when you follow the unsubscribe link
now.

I hope that the general outrage from this last set of incidents has
installed enough paranoia about the seriousness of this issue in
Continuent that they continue to keep on top of this, and eventually
reverse some of the community hostility over their past mass mailing
problems. As someone who's been on both sides of this (running an ISP
dealing with spam abuse complaints and trying to manage a corporate
announcement e-mail list with outsourced components), I will attest that
being a good 'net citizen while also keeping your company marketing
alive is much harder than you might think.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us