Re: 8.2 "real-time" recovery

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dragos Valentin Moinescu" <dragos(dot)moinescu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.2 "real-time" recovery
Date: 2010-08-26 21:11:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dragos Valentin Moinescu <dragos(dot)moinescu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I succeded in creating a warm standby server:
>
> [custom scripting]

That's gotta be nicer than what you were doing before. :-)

That said, I fear there are a few unusual conditions you are not
handling in your script. You might want to take a look at some
packaged solutions which deal with these gracefully. pg_standby and
pitrtools come to mind, although I might be forgetting something.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the log files from both the source
and standby databases to make sure transactions are flowing. You
might also want to run pg_controldata and make sure that "Database
cluster state" is "in archive recovery" and "Time of latest
checkpoint" hasn't gotten too stale.

-Kevin