Re: HS/SR on AIX

From: Steve Singer <ssinger(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HS/SR on AIX
Date: 2010-08-25 15:05:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Steve Singer <ssinger(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info> writes:
>> I think I've been able to reproduce the issue floating around with
>> streaming replication on AIX.
>
> Excellent, because we weren't getting much from the original reporter.

I'm withdrawing my comment, today on a clean install of the binaries I
am not able to reproduce any of this.

Today with beta4 I can stream replication to the standby and bring the
standby up to read-write without issues.

Yesterday when I had put beta4 on top of beta2 without explicitly
deleting all of the beta2 binaries/libraries first. I'm thinking maybe
some portions of beta2 where still laying around.

It is also possible that an old version of a shared library was still
sitting in memory and was being picked up by the newer postgresql (man
slibclean on AIX)

I will do another clean build from the beta4 source tar to confirm that
I'm not still having the issue but I'm thinking the original reporter
might have done something similar and had some old artifacts laying around.

--
Steve Singer
Afilias Canada