Re: 8.2 "real-time" recovery

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dragos Valentin Moinescu" <dragos(dot)moinescu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.2 "real-time" recovery
Date: 2010-08-25 14:14:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dragos Valentin Moinescu <dragos(dot)moinescu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Where can I find information about how to modify the postgresql
> server in order to allow this in 8.2.17?

You haven't exactly said what "this" is, but I am inferring that you
want to bring your standby up to run read-only queries once per
hour, and then resume replication? If so, you could either consider
one of the many replication solutions:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling

or you could follow your current practice, but get a fresh base
backup each time, and start the warm standby over again. If you use
rsync with a daemon you will probably be surprised how quickly you
can acquire the new base backup.

-Kevin