Re: git: uh-oh

From: Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-20 11:50:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20/08/10 12:02, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 09:49, Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Ah, that's great.
>>
>> I should mention that the way it notes this is to reference commits by
>> their timestamp, author and initial line of log message - it does this
>> because cvs2git doesn't know the commit sha ever - that doesn't appear
>> until the stream is fed through git fast-import. I did briefly raise the
>> idea of augmenting the fast-import process to support substituting
>> fast-import marks to shas in log messages, but didn't get time to take
>> it beyond an idea.

>>> That's less great of course, but it gives hope!
>>>
>>> Thanks for your continued efforts!
>>
>> I've just made a commit to cvs2svn trunk. I hope this should now be fixed.
>

> Great. I will download and test the trunk version soon. I'm currently
> running a test using cvs2svn and then git-svn clone from that - but
> it's insanely slow (been going for 30+ hours now, and probably has
> 8-10 hours more to go)...

Uh, you are? Why do it that way?

The thing I fixed pertains to the direct use of cvs2git, and will have
no effect on executions of cvs2svn.

I have run cvs2git on the pgsql module of your CVS locally (is that the
right thing to convert?) if you'd like to compare notes on specific
parts of the conversion.

Max.