Re: TEXT columns should indentify as java.sql.Types.CLOB

From: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>
To: Toni Helenius <Toni(dot)Helenius(at)syncrontech(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TEXT columns should indentify as java.sql.Types.CLOB
Date: 2010-08-16 15:36:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

>Hello,
>
>I'm using Postgres 8.3.11 database and the latest JDBC driver 8.4 Build 701 (JDBC 4) + Java 6. In our databases there are TEXT type columns. However if I make a query to identify these fields in Java, the field DATA TYPE is VARCHAR and the length is 2147483647. Type name is correct; "TEXT". But as we need database independent code, we are using DATA TYPE as I presume is correct. And I think these TEXT fields should return java.sql.Types.CLOB as DATA TYPE instead of VARCHAR.
>
>Here is some code:
>
>Connection fromConn;
>DatabaseMetaData metaFrom;
>String userFrom;
>
>fromConn = from.getConnection();
>metaFrom = fromConn.getMetaData();
>userFrom = ((PooledConnection)from).getTableOwner();
>
>ResultSet cols = metaFrom.getColumns(null, userFrom, code, null);
>while (cols.next()) {
> cols.getShort("DATA_TYPE");
> cols.getString("TYPE_NAME");
> }

I'm just not seeing it. Your code example seems to be collecting the
information
from the database connection not a particular table. If your application
needs
to identify column types regardless of different databases then the way
I do it
is through evaluation of the table columns. Attached file containing the
output
for the last three or so PostgreSQL JDBC drivers. As far as TEXT and CLOB
types I would prefer then to be identifed independently.

danap

String sqlStatementString = "SELECT * FROM " + schemaTableName + " LIMIT 1";
ResultSet db_resultSet = sqlStatement.executeQuery(sqlStatementString);
DatabaseMetaData dbMetaData = dbConnection.getMetaData();
ResultSetMetaData tableMetaData = db_resultSet.getMetaData();

for (int i = 1; i < tableMetaData.getColumnCount() + 1; i++)
{
// Collect Information on Column.

colNameString = tableMetaData.getColumnName(i);
comboBoxNameString = parseColumnNameField(colNameString);
columnClass = tableMetaData.getColumnClassName(i);
columnType = tableMetaData.getColumnTypeName(i);
columnSize = Integer.valueOf(tableMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize(i));

System.out.println(i + " " + colNameString + " " +
comboBoxNameString + " " +
columnClass + " " + columnType + " " +
columnSize);
}

Attachment Content-Type Size
datatypes_postgresqloutput.txt text/plain 9.4 KB