Re: Ambiguous index entry for Privileges

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ambiguous index entry for Privileges
Date: 2010-08-16 13:59:52
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> On 12 August 2010 00:05, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>> I noticed that there are 2 linked entries for "Privileges":
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/bookindex.html#AEN128982
>>
>> While they both go to different pages (with admittedly very
>> similar content), those pages are both entitled "Privileges" so
>> it's unclear from the index which page you'll end up at. Can we
>> rename one of those pages to clarify as it looks weird in the
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Sure -- I think the page at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/privileges.html (in
"Chapter 20. Database Roles and Privileges" should be more
conceptual rather than a subset of the other page. Rather than
explaining how to use GRANT and REVOKE to change privileges, it
should give an overview of privileges and discuss what is allowed by
each particular privilege. It could link to the other page, so
there would be one place to keep up-to-date on how to grant and
revoke privileges.

I think the page at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html (in "Chapter
5. Data Definition") should be renamed to something more like
"Modifying Privileges" or "Granting and Revoking Privileges" (or
something to that effect). It might make sense to have its entry in
the index be a secondary entry under privilege, with some similar
qualification.

-Kevin