Re: JSON Patch for PostgreSQL - BSON Support?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Charles Pritchard <chuck(at)jumis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JSON Patch for PostgreSQL - BSON Support?
Date: 2010-08-16 08:34:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> I knew there would be a lot of critters crawling out as soon as we
>> turned over this rock. Which other data-formats-of-the-week shall
>> we immortalize as core PG types?
>>

> PER-encoded ASN.1, for when you really need something human-readable? :-)

I like to prioritize with "hits on Google" as a proxy for popularity:

XML: 341M
CSV: 132M
JSON: 96M
YAML: 6M
ASN.1: 1.1M
BSON: 130K
"Protocol Buffers": 86K
OGDL: 45K

I think there's a strong case to add JSON, as it may very well be the
most popular data->text serialization format out there not yet
supported. It's certainly beyond a format of the week at this point.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us