Re: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request: bzip2 support in pg_dump, pg_restore
Date: 2010-08-13 13:57:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Daniel Migowski wrote:
> A small investigation showed to me that bzip2 compressed sql files
> take only 60% of the space of gz compressed files. Since bzip2 is
> fairly common today, could one add an option to pg_dump and pg_restore
> supporting this compression type in their custom format? Or do the
> PostgreSQL folks prefer no to do that regarding backwards compatibility?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#Why_aren.27t_there_more_compression_options_when_dumping_tables.3F
now has a first round answer to this topic, one that addresses the
things that pop up every time this discussion is raised. There are
speed, code quality, code license, and patent issues all making this
much harder to change than is obvious at first.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us