Copying a database

From: Ron Gafron <rgafron(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Copying a database
Date: 2010-08-12 23:06:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Good day all,

As a relative newbie to Postgres, I am looking for the "best way" to
make a copy of a database I am using. Is there a "standard way" to use
pgAdmin to do this? I've seen a number of posts using the command line
to do this, but so far, about all I've seen using pgAdmin are posts
about using the backup/restore routine to do this, but people seem to
have trouble with this at times.

All I'm interested in copying is the database structure at this point,
and I think I can see in pgAdmin how to do this with the backup. So,
would the steps be.....
1. Create the database backup.
2. Create a new, empty database with a new name.
3. Restore the backup to the new, empty database?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide, and have a good day.

Ron