Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment
Date: 2010-08-11 19:06:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Even if you don't, changing this would only mean that you
>> couldn't safely run "make check" concurrently in multiple branches.
> That's exactly the point. The original discussion is here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/491D9935.9010200@gmx.net

You original email said:

For some historic reasons, I have my local scripts set up so that
they build development instances using the hardcoded port 65432.

I think my response would be "Don't do that".

Having said that, maybe we could reasonably use something like
DEF_PGPORT + 10 * major_version + minor_version in the calculation and
advise buildfarm members with multiple animals to keep their port ranges
say, 200 or more apart.

But maybe we should just stick with my earlier advice :-)

cheers

andrew