Re: BUG #5592: list of integer undefined behaviors

From: John Regehr <regehr(at)cs(dot)utah(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5592: list of integer undefined behaviors
Date: 2010-08-03 22:19:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 8/3/2010 4:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> However, most of the cases that seem of interest so far are in fairly
> small, stable functions. Would it be reasonable to attach a "checked
> for overflow problems" label to these functions as a whole?

This should work great. I'll get my clang hacker to start working on it.

I see that pgsql has support already in place to def out attributes when
non-GCC ocmpilers are used.

Just to be clear we're talking about putting something like this in your
header files:

int
bms_first_member(Bitmapset *a)
__attribute__((no_integer_overflow_checks));

Pick whatever name you like for this attribute, it doesn't matter to us.

John