Re: Beta4 release announcement

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beta4 release announcement
Date: 2010-08-01 19:58:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On 08/01/2010 08:39 AM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've hacked up a release announcement:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/9.0beta4announcement
>
> Did I miss anything major?

This paragraph is confusing:

Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database reload
will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage users to use
this opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from beta3 or an
earlier version of 9.0. Please report your results.

It should read instead:

Unlike previous betas, there has been no system catalog change since
Beta3, so an initdb should not be required to upgrade test databases
from Beta3. Upgrading test databases from earlier versions or betas
will require an initdb, however, so we urge users to take the
opportunity to test upgrading their database using 9.0's pg_upgrade and
report the results.

... as I believe we did *not* bump the system catalogs this time.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.