Re: On Scalability

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers and Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On Scalability
Date: 2010-07-30 20:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> By using PREPARE I run the query planned sooner and I should use
> the plan with the later execution.
> You can bet that some of the PREPAREd query variables will
> pertain to either the child table's CHECK contraints (for table partitions)
> or to the partial index's WHERE condition (for index partitioning).

Prepared statements are not necessarily a cure for long query planning
time, because the sort of planning decisions made with partitioned child
tables and index selection can need to know the parameter values to
execute well; that's usually the situation rather than the exception
with partitions. You run the risk that the generic prepared plan will
end up looking at all the partitions, because at preparation plan time
it can't figure out which can be excluded. Can only figure that out
once they're in there for some types of queries.

I think you aren't quite lined up with the people suggesting "test it"
in terms of what that means. The idea is not that you should build a
full on application test case yet, which can be very expensive. The
idea is that you might explore things like "when I partition this way
increasing the partitions from 1 to n, does query time go up linearly?"
by measuring with fake data and a machine-generated schema. What's
happened in some of these cases is that, despite the theoretical, some
constant or external overhead ends up dominating behavior for lower
numbers. As an example, it was recognized that the amount of statistics
for a table collected with default_statistics_target had a quadratic
impact on some aspects of performance. But it turned out that for the
range of interesting values to most people, the measured runtime did not
go up with the square as feared. Only way that was sorted out was to
build a simple simulation.

Here's a full example from that discussion that shows the sort of tests
you probably want to try, and comments on the perils of guessing based
on theory rather than testing:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00601.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00687.php

generate_series can be very helpful here, and you can even use that to
generate timestamps if you need them in the data set.

That said, anecdotally everyone agrees that partitions don't scale well
into even the very low hundreds for most people, and doing multi-level
ones won't necessarily normally drop query planning time--just the cost
of maintaining the underlying tables and indexes. My opinion is that
building a simple partitioned case and watching how the EXPLAIN plans
change as you adjust things will be more instructive for you than either
asking about it or reading the source. Vary the parameters, watch the
plans, measure things and graph them if you want to visualize the
behavior better. Same thing goes for large numbers of partial indexes,
which have a similar query planning impact, but unlike partitions I
haven't seen anyone analyze them via benchmarks. I'm sure you could get
help here (probably the performance list is a better spot though) with
getting your test case right if you wanted to try and nail that down.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us