Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Continuent & pgsql-announce ... please do not approve
Date: 2010-07-30 00:48:19
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Have you considered using their nice link:
>>

> I have. And I've had Robert remove me from their lists on numerous
> occasions, yet I still keep getting spammed.

Thanks for the report. I've been on the receiving end of way too many
excessive spam vigilante blacklists to start suggesting a ban on someone
without at least getting a confirmation that their unsubscribe link
doesn't work from someone who's tried it. One of my outgoing mail
servers is back on Spamhaus's list again this week, after they banned a
whole /24 block at the ISP over one hosting account that sent out a
single message. Really don't want to be that rude if someone's only sin
is aggressively getting mailing lists worth of people from sources like
conferences, who we all know perfectly well are perfectly capable of
selling all our data.

I think they need to institutionalize the permanent blacklist at
Continuent: once you're on it, you never get a message again even if
your name comes back up via a new source. This is a different concept
from the "we'll remove you if you ask" concept, which is ripe with
opportunities to just get signed right back up again when new list
sources appear.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us