Re: postgresql basic info

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql basic info
Date: 2010-07-27 20:34:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 7/27/10 3:37 AM, Lazarin Toni wrote:
> I am Oracle DBA and i will be maybe work on a project where postgresql
> database will be used.
>
> So i would be greatful if you could please advise me on the folowing :
>
> · Estimated time for postgresql latest RDBMS software instalation and
> configuration (does it takes longer on windows or on linux)

Most of your time will be spent wondering what you've overlooked, thinking it couldn't possibly be that simple.

Seriously, if you know Linux or BSD admin, you can download it from source, compile and have a working database in about 30 minutes. If your distro has Postgres, then your installation time is zero.

You'll spend some time tuning your configuration file for your particular needs. The postgres-performance mailing is a good place to ask this question.

The most important considerations are common to both Postgres and Oracle. That is, what kind of hardware do you have, and is it sufficient to your workload? CPUs, disks, memory, RAID config, and so on. That's also a question for the postgres-performance mailing list.

> · Are there any prefered OS, like windows or linux etc ... ?

BSD or Linux. Windows is considered a second-tier platform for Postgres.

> · Estimated time for import of 50gb of data from older postgres to the
> newly instaled postgres?

Depends a lot on your hardware, and also on the nature of the data (lots of indexes will add time). It also depends how you do it. pg_dump/pg_restore are pretty fast. This would probably take a few hours on a reasonable mid-sized server, for example, with an 8-disk RAID 10 array with a battery-backed RAID controller.

Craig