Re: Linux Filesystems again - Ubuntu this time

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Whit Armstrong" <armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Mark Kirkwood" <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux Filesystems again - Ubuntu this time
Date: 2010-07-27 17:10:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

Whit Armstrong <armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> While we're on the topic, do you also diable fsync?

We only disable fsync during bulk loads, where we would be starting
over anyway if there was a failure. Basically, you should never use
fsync unless you are OK with losing everything in the database
server if you have an OS or hardware failure. We have a few
databases where we would consider that if performance wasn't
otherwise acceptable, since they are consolidated replicas of
off-side source databases, and we have four identical ones in two
separate buildings; however, since performance is good with fsync on
and it would be a bother to have to copy from one of the other
servers in the event of an OS crash, we leave it on.

-Kevin