Re: What to do if space for database decrease and no additional hard drive is possible?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What to do if space for database decrease and no additional hard drive is possible?
Date: 2010-07-26 21:09:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07/26/10 3:43 AM, AlannY wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have a huge database with several tables. Some tables have statistics
> information. And it's very huge. I don't want to loose any of this data.
> But hard drives on my single server are not eternal. Very soon, there will
> be no left space. And the most awful this, that it's a 1U server, and I
> can't install new hard drive.
>
> What can I do to enlarge space, without loosing data and performance?

put a SAS card in the server, and use something like
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/12169-304616-3930445-3930445-3930445-3954787-3954788-3954790.html

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/disk/exp3000/index.html

http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/storage/sas/ct.aspx?refid=sas&s=bsd&cs=04
<http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/storage/sas/ct.aspx?refid=sas&s=bsd&cs=04>