Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Duncavage, Daniel P(dot) (JSC-OD211)" <daniel(dot)p(dot)duncavage(at)nasa(dot)gov>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help
Date: 2010-07-15 05:06:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07/13/2010 10:44 PM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 21:25, Magnus Hagander<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 20:10, Thom Brown<thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> This looks like it hasn't been worked on in a while, but is this any
>>> use?: http://nagiosplugins.projects.postgresql.org/
>>
>> Those are plugins to monitor postgresql using nagios. For that, you
>> should realy be looking at check_postgres. I think what the OP is
>> looking for is a way to store Nagios metadata in postgres, which is
>> something else.
>>

> Ah yes, I see. The documentation suggests PostgreSQL is supported in
> version 1.0 under the "Database Support" section:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xdata-db.html
>
> Is that no longer the case then? They actually *removed* support? :(

well - there was direct database support in nagios ages ago(nagios 1.x
is ancient) and replaced with a plugin based approach based on their
eventbroker architecture called NDOutils. Based on tracking internal
state it can be used to export current and historical monitoring data
from nagios for later postprocessing (or for usin a GUI or whatever).
NODutils however has no real working support for PostgreSQL, IDOutils
(which I mentioned elsewhere in the thread) from the icinga fork does
have basic support.

Stefan