Re: High Availability: Hot Standby vs. Warm Standby

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
Cc: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High Availability: Hot Standby vs. Warm Standby
Date: 2010-07-12 16:16:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Brad Nicholson wrote:
> One further thing to mention - all of these solutions are based on
> making the physical blocks available (actually, I'm not sure about
> Streaming replication in 9.0).

You're right here; the SR feature in 9.0 is essentially near real-time
partial WAL file shipping, and the WAL contains physical disk block
change data. If your master has data blocks corrupted, the next time
you do a base backup against it that corruption will be mirrored to the
standby too. I've mentioned on one of these lists recently that I like
to schedule a periodic pg_dump even if log shipping is the main backup
mechanism for a database, just so that corruption in the underlying
files is caught as early as possible by trying to read every block and
confirm it has valid data.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us