Re: SQL from Linux command line

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: Scott Geller <geller(dot)subscribe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL from Linux command line
Date: 2010-07-10 22:22:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Scott Geller wrote:

> Thanks Mladen
>
> I'm a novice - if psgl is not a scripting language, can you please
> give me an example of one? maybe perl?
>
> Thanks

No, psql is not a scripting language, psql is an ad-hoc query utility.
Scripting languages are numerous, among the most popular are Python, PHP
and Perl, but there are others, like Ruby. I prefer Perl for the CLI
but, on the other hand, there are many people that do not share my
preferences. The only reason for my preference is the fact that I've
been using Perl since 1994. All of the above scripting languages, with
the possible exception of Ruby, support PostgreSQL. I know nothing of
Ruby so I have no idea whether it supports PgSQL or not.
Python is becoming increasingly popular these days, because of its full
blown OO model, which Perl doesn't have. There is some mess with the
versions, like version 3 being slow to gain acceptance, but that should
get resolved soon.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA