Re: LINE 1: IDENTIFY_SYSTEM error infinitum

From: Zoid <Zoid(at)the-lounge(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LINE 1: IDENTIFY_SYSTEM error infinitum
Date: 2010-07-01 02:35:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hmm. I tried the replication=1 switch but I was prompted with the below
but I noticed the "local" requirement assumes a UNIX socket which i'm
not using. And both databases are actually on the same box (just
different ports).

psql: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from
host "[local]", user "postgres"

I've been using this to start the replication database processs, which
does start ok, spit out to syslog then barfs on the IDENTIFY_SYSTEM
returned from the primary.
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -p5433 -D replication_database -o -d5

Can I be sure that the Primary even has the capability to answer the
IDENTIFY_SYSTEM command? I'm beginning to think maybe this is zero'd
out until the beta is finalized. It would take a code search but if
the functionality is linked to Major Version and Minor version
variables, I guess its possible that it won't work until the beta2 is
normalized to an normal release. So I'll look for an alternate means
to extract the System Identity on the primary.