Re: Scheduling backup

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: RP Khare <passionate_programmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scheduling backup
Date: 2010-06-30 08:28:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/30/10 12:37 AM, RP Khare wrote:
> Is there any way to schedule PGSQL databases backups? I want to take
> hourly dumps of my production database.

if those are your backup requirements, you should take a look at PITR,
Point In Time Recovery, where you take just an occasional full database
dump, then archive WAL logs which record the changes to the database,
minute by minute.

these logs can be used to play back the database transactions to any
specific Point In Time.