Prevent characters not transposable to LATIN9

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <arnaud(dot)listes(at)codata(dot)eu>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Prevent characters not transposable to LATIN9
Date: 2010-06-29 14:52:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi list !

We have a database in UTF8, from which we have to export text files in
LATIN9 encoding (or WIN1252, which is almostthe same I believe).

Records are entered via MSAccess forms (on psqlodbc-linked tables).
The problem is that some of the characters input by the users have no
equivalent in LATIN9.

How could I easily write a CONSTRAINT (or RULE) that would check that
everything entered in the fields have an equivalent in my specific
destination encoding ?

Thanks for any hints on this !

Regards
--