Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql
Date: 2010-06-26 04:12:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/25/2010 4:22 AM, John Gage wrote:
> There are features, are there not, that Postgres has that MySQL does not
> have?

Yes, a big one would be data integrity. Most people would not consider
data integrity an optional feature in a DBMS, but apparently MySQL does.
Try this in MySQL:

create table t1 (f1 varchar(10))
insert into t1 values('this is a long string')
select * from t1

When I do this on a version 5.0.44 MySQL DB (the latest I have
conveniently available), MySQL processes the insert without complaint,
silently truncating the string to "this is a". Why people aren't
bothered by this is beyond me.

--
Guy Rouillier