Re: ECPG Documentation Improvement

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Richardson <markmapo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG Documentation Improvement
Date: 2010-06-18 08:05:53
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-interfaces

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comments.

On 2010/06/18 4:27, Mark Richardson wrote:
> Here's some info that I found...
> For conversion of Sybase .pc files to postgres .pgc files, you have to
> parse the .pc file and change from sybase format to postgres format. We
> used a simple script but here's what we changed the following (sybase is
> first column, postgres is second - quotes are used just to indicate the
> entire string, you don't need them in the search/replace)

As you mentioned, I feel the embeded SQL technology has
many compatibility challenges to port applications.
So now I'm thinking how we can hold such compatibility
tips or tricks in the manual.

I'm interested in having the "Compatibility" section
to gather compatibility information which depends on
several RDBMSes, like "Informix compatibility mode" section.
If it could be helpful, I will try it.

I have to work on SQLDA stuffs to clarify its usage,
because I heard that the PostgreSQL SQLDA is not compatible
with Oracle's one, it's compatible with others
(DB2? Sorry if it's wrong).

Thus, the PostgreSQL ECPG is currently a mixture of several
RDBMSes, so I want to clarify the spec and its compatibility.
I guess it could be helpful for application developers. :)

> I also looked up the boolean type for ecpg, the problem is in postgres
> 8.0.1 (maybe later)
> postgresql/src/interfaces/ecpglib/execute.c line 775 (case ECPGt_bool)
> the line was

I will check this, and modify the manual if we need.

Regards,
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>