Re: BUG #5507: missing chunk number 0 for toast value XXXXX in pg_toast_XXXXX

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: 中嶋 信二 <sinakaj(at)jops(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5507: missing chunk number 0 for toast value XXXXX in pg_toast_XXXXX
Date: 2010-06-15 14:07:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

中嶋 信二<sinakaj(at)jops(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> postgres is duplicated.
> Red Hat Cluster Suite watches a process of each service.
> PGDATA shares it in strage.
>
> There is the thing that a wait server started.
> A cluster began the change disposal of servers.
> Because A cluster judged a state of postgres to be a stop.
>
> I do not understand why duplex system to refer to same PGDATA was
> able to start.
> I was able to surely carry out SQL by a psql command in duplex
> system.
> I did not output log in those days.

> Two postgres that PGDATA was shared will have started
> why if it was thought that it was caused by double start.
> Is there such a precedent?
> Does a data file lead to the cause that failed?

I'm not sure I totally understand, but it sounds like you had two
postmasters running against a single data directory. If so, that
could cause all kinds of corruption. It's hard to see how that
could happen unless you deleted a PostgreSQL data directory, or at
least the postmaster.pid file, while an instance was running.

I would start by capturing "ps auxf" output, to be able to
understand what postgres processes were running and when they
started. Then I would probably make sure they all got stopped.
Then I would be seriously looking at restoring from backup, unless
this was a development database which could just be recreated from
scratch.

-Kevin