Re: Cognitive dissonance

From: Robert Gravsjö <robert(at)blogg(dot)se>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cognitive dissonance
Date: 2010-06-11 12:41:29
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Leif Biberg Kristensen skrev 2010-06-10 17.33:
> On Thursday 10. June 2010 17.24.00 Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>>> Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of jue jun 10 02:50:14 -0400
> 2010:
>>
>>> Hey, count me as another interested person in a single-file plain-text
>>> doc output format.
>>
>> Well, there are two separate things here:
>>
>> * providing a Makefile target to build plain-text output.
>>
>> * shipping prebuilt plain text docs in standard distributions.
>>
>> I am for #1, not so much for #2, mainly on the grounds of size. But
>> given #1 it would be possible for packagers to make their own choices
>> about whether to include plain-text docs.
>
> Wouldn't it suffice to make it downloadable, like the pdf doc?

And/or make the HTML version downloadable side by side with the PDF.

There are good reasons for wanting access to the complete document when
being offline. PDF is not such a bad format but it do have some
limitations as have been previously mentioned.

As for building the docs I don't think everyone, not even all
developers, has the tool chain installed (or even wants to).

Regards,
roppert