Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-10 08:24:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Am 05.06.2010 22:02, schrieb Dimitri Fontaine:

>> I don't think "dumps must be human-readable" is an argument to reject
>> such a switch, as long as it's off by default. And I haven't seen any
>> other valid argument either, so +1 from me.
>
> Well as Bruce said this option won't solve the OP's problem, unless the
> application he's using for managing the backups do use the option.

As I already wrote, this would solve my problem. The application uses a
generic framework which quotes all column names (and such) automatically.

Esp. this would solve the problem for *all other users* of this
application, too. And as I already wrote, too, most of these
users/administrators are not database gurus. They need as much support
as possible to make their live easier.

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de