Re: Postgres and XA support problem.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Michal Szymanski <mich20061(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres and XA support problem.
Date: 2010-06-09 08:56:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 09/06/10 10:54, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> Hi,
> We are trying to find TransactionManager for our project and on our
> short list is Atomikos (http://www.atomikos.com) but during reading
> 'Known problem' section we have found:
>
> 'PostgreSQL XA support is limited in what it can do; using Postgresql
> is not recommended and not supported. If you do choose to use it, see
> this forum post for some of the problems' and it was link to this
> http://fogbugz.atomikos.com/default.asp?community.6.1503.6
>
> Is it a real bug or lack of Postgres functinality ?

I'd call it a lack of functionality. PostgreSQL doesn't support calling
PREPARE TRANSACTION from a different connection than BEGIN. The JTA spec
requires that functionality, but it's a pretty common limitation in
DBMSs because it doesn't fit well with the one transaction per
connection architecture that most DBMSs have. So in practice all
transaction managers have an option to work around that, according to
the forum post it's called "com.atomikos.icatch.threaded_2pc" in Atomikos.

--
Heikki Linnakangas