Re: Details about pg_stat_bgwriter

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Details about pg_stat_bgwriter
Date: 2010-06-08 17:30:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> If I want to identify a possible bottleneck with the bgwriter, for
> what kind of numbers do I need to watch out?
You don't much with a single snapshot of pg_stat_bgwriter data. Try
saving this instead:

select *,now() from pg_stat_bgwriter;

And then take another snapshot at least a few hours later, preferably
the next day. With two snapshots and timestamps on them, then it's
possible to make some sense of the numbers.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us