Re: create index concurrently - duplicate index to reduce time without an index

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Gareth(dot)Williams(at)csiro(dot)au
Cc: mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create index concurrently - duplicate index to reduce time without an index
Date: 2010-06-02 16:49:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Gareth(dot)Williams(at)csiro(dot)au wrote:
> I'm concerned that just because I *can* create duplicate indexes, it doesn't mean I *should*. I'm worried it might actually break the service worse than the locking that I'm trying to avoid. Does anyone know which index will be used if there are duplicate ones and whether there is likely to be a problem?

This is a simple disk capacity question. If you can run CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY, and it doesn't effectively take your server down due to
the disks being overrun with data to process, it's perfectly fine to do
so. Only in the case where the index creation itself causes what is
effectively client downtime, due to the increased load of the build,
could that aproach be worse than the terrible locking that comes with
non-concurrent rebuild.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us