Re: Exception while accessing database

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Manohar Bhattarai" <manoharbhattarai(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Exception while accessing database
Date: 2010-06-02 20:44:30
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Manohar Bhattarai <manoharbhattarai(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

> But the password is the same that i use to login postgres user in
> the terminal.
> What could be the problem?

When you say "postgres user in the terminal", do you mean logging in
to the operating system? If so, that has nothing to do with the
database login unless you choose to make it so by having an "ident"
entry in the pg_hba.conf file.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/client-authentication.html

> I am not able to understand how to start creating a new user
> and a new database after a fresh installation of postgres.

Once you get logged in with the postgres user, that would be the
CREATE DATABASE and CREATE USER statements:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-createdatabase.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-createuser.html

-Kevin