Re: PG backup performance

From: Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Subject: Re: PG backup performance
Date: 2010-05-31 19:45:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Andy,
Thank you , please, see bellow my answers:
Andy Colson wrote:

> On 05/31/2010 11:05 AM, Isabella Ghiurea wrote:
> > Hello PG list,
> > I 'm looking for some tip, advice toimprove PG backups performance,
> > presently running
> > pg_dumpall compressed option on raid array 0 getting aprox14GB writes in
> > 45 min, I'm backing up aprox 200GB database cluster daily .
> > How can I improve this performance with the present hardware and PG
> > version 8.3.6 , can I run parallel backups in PG ?
> > Thank you
> > Isabella
> >

> Short answer, yes, you can.
> Long answer, we need more info.
>
> We need to know what the slow part is.
>
> Are you CPU bound

CPU

> or IO bound?
> Are you backing up over a network?

No , on locally disks

> How many tables? (well, big tables... how many really big tables).

Around 20 big tables all of them in a one separate schema on separate
tables space from rest of other schemas. I already start backing up
individuals schema.
My big concern is IF I have to recover from backups will take me at
least twice as much time around 1-2 days I expect.

> How many cores/cpu's do you have?

4 quad core CPU server. How can I make PG to use multi threading?

> I bet all 200GB hardly changes, are you sure you need to back it all
> up over and over again? Have you thought of replication?

Yes, but waiting for a more robust build in replication PG version
aka PG 9.1.
Isabella

Isabella A. Ghiurea

Isabella(dot)Ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre |http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/hia/data-centre.html
National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045