Re: BUG #5485: Microsoft VC++ exception during postgres instalation

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Jakub Bogacz <jakubbogacz(at)o2(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5485: Microsoft VC++ exception during postgres instalation
Date: 2010-05-31 13:15:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 31/05/2010 4:01 PM, Jakub Bogacz wrote:

> Bug reference: 5485
> Logged by: Jakub Bogacz
> Email address: jakubbogacz(at)o2(dot)pl
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1, 9.0.0
> Operating system: Windows 7
> Details:
>
> Hi,
>
> Since I've instaled W7, I can't install postgres DB. After run a instaler, I
> always get an error:"An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime
> installer."

Works for me - I just installed Pg 9.0.0beta1 on my new win7 install
today. (Thanks Dave!)

Are you running Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit? Which edition?
(Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc)

Is this an upgrade from an older Windows version (and if so, which one)
or is it a clean install? If it's an upgrade, did you have a version of
PostgreSQL installed at some previous time?

Is your Windows 7 install a "standard" Microsoft one, or was it a
preinstall/restore by a hardware manufacturer?

Are you running an Administrator account or a basic user account? (if
you're using the account created with the operating system install, it's
an admin account).

Is UAC at the default settings, or have you changed them?

Do you have a virus scanner installed? If so, which one?

If you download and install the MSVC++ 2005 runtime redist (
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
) separately, are you then able to install Pg?

--
Craig Ringer