Re: INSERTing lots of data

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Joachim Worringen <joachim(dot)worringen(at)iathh(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERTing lots of data
Date: 2010-05-28 17:27:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On 28/05/2010 9:17 PM, Joachim Worringen wrote:

> In the "import data" case, however, I really need concurrent processing
> on the CPU in the first place, so you may be right on this one. I'll
> check it.

If you run into GIL problems, you can always work around it by spawning
multiple processes and communicating between them via pipes, signals,
shm, etc. That way you get one GIL per Python instance.

BTW, if you need decent CPU performance with Python, make sure you're
using the Pysco specializing compiler module for Python. Activating it
requires literally four lines at the start of your main module and the
speed improvement is mind blowing.

--
Craig Ringer