Re: Please help me write a query

From: Justin Graf <justin(at)magwerks(dot)com>
To: Nikolas Everett <nik9000(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please help me write a query
Date: 2010-05-27 16:36:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5/27/2010 9:45 AM, Nikolas Everett wrote:
> Sorry. Here is the setup:
> CREATE TABLE test (id BIGSERIAL PRIMARY KEY, state1 INT NOT NULL,
> state2 INT NOT NULL, timestamp TIMESTAMP);
> INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 1, now() -
> interval '12 hours');
> INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 2, now() -
> interval '11 hours');
> INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 1, now() -
> interval '10 hours');
> INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (2, 1, now() -
> interval '9 hours');
> INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 1, now() -
> interval '8 hours');
>

> I want to write a query that spits out:
> state1 | timestamp
> --------+----------------------------
> 1 | now() - interval '12 hours'
> 2 | now() - interval '9 hours'
> 1 | now() - interval '8 hours'

Have a question what makes these values different other than the
timestamp???

1, 1, now() - interval '12 hours'
*1, 1, now() - interval '10 hours'*

The reason i ask, is because you show *1, 1, now() - interval '8
hours'* in the desired output. What logic keeps the 8 hour and 12
hour but not the 10hour interval???

Its kinda hard to understand why the 10hour interval is being skipped???

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by our proprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other information proprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it addresses. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.

Attachment Content-Type Size
justin.vcf text/x-vcard 258 bytes