Re: datestyle issue. Is it always set to ISO, DMY ?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Ermengol Bota <ermengol(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: datestyle issue. Is it always set to ISO, DMY ?
Date: 2010-05-18 22:59:02
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

Le 19/05/2010 00:15, Ermengol Bota a écrit :
> [...]
> I've seen that what I'm asking was discussed few years ago (2006) on this list
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2006-01/msg00042.php
>
> but I would like to know if it is still the same.

Yes.

> The problem (or the issue or whatever) is that (I think) pgadminIII
> doesn't recognize the variable datestyle, so it always sets it to:
> ISO, DMY.

It's not that it doesn't recognize it. It is that it changes it to ISO
on all its connections.

> So when you are exploring your data with the pgadmin tools you will
> always see dates formatted as
> yyyy-mm-dd

You're right.

> But, if you are on the query tool you can change this behaviour with
> (for example)
> set datestyle = "postgres, euro";
>
> and then if you select a column with dates they will formatted the european way
> dd-mm-yyyy

Sure, you bypassed pgAdmin session configuration, so pgAdmin displayed
dates in the datestyle you specified on the session.

pgAdmin got a result from PostgreSQL and it displays it in the same way.
It doesn't change the string it receives. It displays ISO by default
because, when it connects to a database, the first query it launches is
a "SET DateStyle=ISO;". It'll display with another style if you changes
the DateStyle parameter of the session.

> I've changed the datesyle in the configuration file (postgresql.conf),
> so if I work from the command line with psql it shows dates as
> expected (postgres style), but inside pgadmin it always show
> yyyy-mm-dd even-thought you add the datestyle variable in the database
> properties tab also.

The datestyle property of a database is what you have if you don't
overrule it by a session changes.

> Am I missing something?
> Is this a correct behaviour?

At least, it's what's intended.